Forest Stewardship Council® Chain of Custody (FSC CoC)
Consumers are becoming more and more critical. They increasingly desire products that are manufactured according to ecological and social criteria. By indicating the FSC® Logo, companies ensure wood originates from sustainably cultivated forests. Certified companies can place the FSC® Logo directly on the product and can use this logo for advertising purposes. As the number of critical consumers is growing and FSC® gained an increasing degree of recognition, FSC® provides companies with a simple management tool, which enables them to work sustainably and communicate their actions in a credible way.
In 1993, the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) was established as a worldwide independent and non-profit organization by environmental bodies, representatives of domestic ethnical groups and companies active in forestry and timber industry. FSC® is a member-based organization that is open to any individual and legal entities.
The certification procedure helps to achieve cultivation of forests that is
- ecologically compatible
- socially compatible as well as
- economically sustainable
and to improve the marketing of timber produced in a manner that is ecologically and socially correct. In addition, itaims to support companies active in forestry and timber industry to continually improve their performance.
- sawing and plaugh mills
- wood processing industry
- building joiners and cabinet makers
- timber trade
- paper industry and trade
- print officies, publishing companies and bookbindery
FSC® has established ten principles for forest certification (FSC Forest Management FM), which are valid all over the world. Among other things, the following elements are essential:
- compliance with the laws and FSC® principles
- conformity to labour laws and health protection
- respecting the rights of ownership and rights of use and enjoyment
- endeavours to protect, maintain and preserve the relationship with the local population
- renouncing clear-cutting
- principle of regeneration
- establishing reservations
- planning and control documentation
- preserving the protective forests
- maintaining biodiversity
Certification of the Chain of Custody (FSC® CoC) requires the following:
- documented control system
- acknowledgement of receipt of goods
- separation and/or identification of certified and non-certified received goods
- safe product labelling
- identification of certified outgoing goods
Upon successful certification, FSC® CoC Certificates can be granted for five years. Every year a Surveillance Audit will take place. FSC® CoC Certificates are recognized on an internationally.
For more detailed information visit:
Quality Austria - Trainings, Zertifizierungs und Begutachtungs GmbH is accredited for the certification of FSC® Coc by ASI since 19th January 2015 with the accreditation number ASI-ACC-071. More information can be found here. The regulation for FSC® CoC audits can be found in the Download Center.
Advice: in the context of FSC® Quality Austria does not offer any audits or certifications according to the current version FSC-STD-40-005 Requirements for Sourcing FSC Controlled Wood. Current FSC CoC Standards, Interpretations, Policy etc can be found here.
ISO 9001, ISO 14001, EMAS, Sustainability Reports, Austria Quality Seal, Ecolabel
- Flyer FSC CoC - pdf (967 KB)
- FSC CoC – Annual Administration Fee - pdf (338 KB)
- FSC Interpretations – Chain of Custody - pdf (828 KB)
- FSC Interpretations – Trademark - pdf (382 KB)
- Access Instructions: FSC Trademark Training for Certificate Holders - pdf (160 KB)
- Trademark Quick Guide for Certificate Holders - pdf (5 MB)